What’s the worst thing that can happen to a device like an iPad besides breaking? It gets lost or stolen. This is not a very pleasant circumstance for users, and although it is not the most common, the truth is that it can happen. That’s why in this post we tell you all about the “Find my iPad” application, which will allow you to locate your device on a map in case it gets lost.
What is the ‘Find my iPad’ app and how to set it up
An iPad can be an all-round device that we can use not only at home to consume multimedia content or play games, but we can also take it with us to work or university. Therefore, it is possible that we may lose it due to an oversight, but as with the iPhone, Mac, Apple Watch and AirPods, it can be located from the “Search” app.
The “Search” app is available on iOS, iPadOS and macOS, and is also accessible via the Apple website. In it we find the possibility of locating on a map the friends we have added as such, but also the devices. As soon as you open the app you will find the devices associated with your Apple ID on a map that you can also configure with satellite view or a hybrid between map and satellite. You can also set the distance in miles or kilometers, all by clicking the “i” icon in the upper right.
But before you get to this app and know how to find the devices, you must have the location enabled. To do this, follow these steps on your iPad:
- Open Settings.
- Click on your name.
- Go to “Search”.
- Turn on the Find My iPad feature.
Among the possibilities you will find in the activation of “Find my iPad” is that of finding the offline device , for which the iPad will send its location even when it is turned off or without bluetooth and internet connections through another Apple device nearby, regardless of whether or not this is your property, since it will use it as a beacon to connect to Apple’s servers and the bearer of that computer will not even notice.
The “Send my last location” function is also very useful for the iPad to send its location moments before it is turned off when it is running out of battery.
How to locate your iPad in the “Search” app
When you want to locate your iPad, you can use the Search app on any Apple device and the web, as mentioned above. Once you access and locate your iPad on the map, you can tap it and you’ll find the following options:
- Play sound: This will cause the iPad to play a sound, which can help you find your computer if you’re near it, such as when you’re at home and don’t know where you left it.
- Route: Use this to set a route to your iPad using Apple Maps.
- Notifications: if the device cannot be located at this time, you can activate the possibility of receiving notifications when it is located.
- Mark as lost: If you can’t find your iPad or it has been stolen and you want to disable it, pressing this option will block any possibility of the device being used again without your consent.
- Delete this device: If you tap this option, the iPad will no longer be linked to your Apple ID, but can be used by other users.
In short, this is all you need to know to keep your iPad traceable and find it when it’s lost. But for your peace of mind, we hope you never have to go to the trouble of finding an iPad.