Today is a very intense day of software updates for all of us. After the official release of iOS 12 and watchOS 5 for all users with compatible devices, today Apple has also released the final version of tvOS 12 which has gone through a very extensive beta process where they have tried to polish up the possible problems that have occurred.
tvOS is an operating system traditionally “mistreated” as it hardly includes any notable new features in its updates, and if it does include any new features it stays in the United States and does not reach the rest of the countries.
Despite the fact that in Spain we cannot enjoy most of the new features announced at WWDC 2018, we will now summarize the main new features of tvOS 12.
- Extension of the 4K movie catalog to HDR (Apple TV 4K only)
- New Dolby Atmos sound that promises surround sound for compatible content.
- On Apple TV itself, you can watch live sports and news, which is not available in the United States.
- More than 100 new video channels.
- New subscription support (ZERO Sign-on)
- Better tools for controlling Apple TV remotely.
- Possibility of using third-party drivers from brands selected by Apple itself.
- We will be able to see locations simply by invoking Siri from the Apple TV itself (For example: Siri, shows images of the Earth).
- Apple has added new screensavers to our Apple TV that look great. These images have been obtained in conjunction with NASA.
As we can see, most of the new features such as the new subscription system or the new channels are limited to the USA, without expanding to other countries like Spain.
This update is compatible with Apple TV third generation or higher, including of course the fourth generation with 4K support. If you want to update your Apple TV simply open the options and go to System> Software Updates> Software Update.
Leave us in the comment box what you think of these new features.